|Age:||14 - 20|
|Nation-State:||United States of America|
|Hometown:||Beverly Hills, California|
|Alias:||Samantha, Sam, Sammy, Miss Spirit Fingers|
|Family and Friends|
|Parents:||Gabriella (mother), unnamed father|
|Friends:||Alexandra, Clover, Britney|
|Personality and Ability|
|Love interests:||David, Dean, James, Tim Scam|
|Favorite food:||creamed Calamari/Kalamari, chocolate chip muffin|
|Professions:||super spy, Beverly Hills High student, Malibu University student, Mali-U Cafe employee|
|Behind the Scene|
|First appearance:||"A Thing For Musicians"|
During high school, Sam attended Beverly Hills High. During college, she attends Malibu University, as Sam and the other girls usually call it. Sam is a straight-A student. As mentioned in the episode "Spies in Space", she has the best grades ever in Beverly Hills High School history. Despite this Sam wasn't Valedictorian when she graduated; that honor went to Arnold Jackson.
Sam is a beautiful, smart, loyal and sweet person who, just like her two best friends, can become highly jealous. She has great leadership skills and is highly respected by her friends. She is always focused on the task at hand whether it's studying for school or fighting crime. Minus when it comes to cute boys like in "The Suavest Spy" or "The Dream Teens", showing Sam is just as guilty about boys as Clover and Alex. Sam, like Clover and Alex, enjoys shopping, and visiting salons, but she is not as interested as the others are. Also, unlike Clover, she always puts her studying first but not always missions.
It is discovered in the episode "W.O.W." that Sam's maternal ancestors were part of the Sisterhood. Clover and Alex attribute Sam's excellent leadership skills to this connection. Sam is the unofficial leader of the trio. She formulates most of the strategies they use for fighting villains or getting out of near-death situations. She is the 'big sister' of the team. She is the oldest of the team and the most mature of the 3, although she can be a hypocrite.
Sam has long red hair and emerald green eyes. Some fans have speculated that she might be of Irish heritage. Sam's style of dress is considered to be "preppy hippie". She often wears long skirts, mid-length/short skirts, flowing tops, dresses, buttoned shirts, vests, jeans, chokers, boots, high heel sandal wedges, and thin heels.
Her outfits usually have flowers on them or she wears flowery accessories. However, she is also shown many times to wear high top sneakers. Her bathing suit styles are different sometimes. She occasionally wears a green one-piece bathing suit as seen in "The Getaway" and other episodes. Her bathing suit can also be a bikini. She wore a pink bikini with a towel covering her bottom in "Eraser".
In Season 1, Sam's primary outfit was a blue shirt with a large white collar that covered half her body and white shoes. In "Stuck in the Middle Ages with You" Her primary outfit is slightly altered and the color of her blue shirt becomes red, her large white collar becomes pale pink and her white shoes are replaced with knee-high, light pink boots. In addition, she accessorizes with a belt. In "Malled" she retains her primary outfit but minor changes as her blue shirt becomes fushcia pink but maintains the white collar and shoes.
Her second most worn outfit, as seen in "The O.P." comes in multiple assortments of colors. It consists of an open jacket, either green, yellow, or magenta, a short crop top underneath, either pink or white, and rolled up pants, either dark green, khaki, or blue. She always wears a pink belt around her waste for each color of pants.
In Season 6's two-part finale "So Totally Versailles" Sam wears her disguised form is a cyan and light green classic long sleeved gown with blue flowery designs on part of her gown as her face and hair transformed into a classic styled look and her hair is extended in a large bun from the Baroque era.
Alex and Sam are usually seen studying together.
Clover and Sam often have disagreements that must be mediated by Alex. Sam is also shown to have a deep loyalty to Clover revealed in the episode "Evil Bouquets Are Sooo Passe" when she dumped Fernando because it was upsetting Clover.
Being the founder and administrator of WOOHP (World Organization Of Human Protection), Jerry generally gets along well with Sam, unless he transports her and the other spies to WOOHP by suddenly sucking them up through various everyday objects, while something important is going on in their lives.
Britney is one of Sam's friends.
In the episode "Another Evil Boyfriend", Sam and Alex find out that Blaine, Clover's perfect boyfriend, is evil and is trying to assassinate them. Though they attempt to capture him, Jerry tells them in the end that Blaine misunderstood that Clover was an evil spy.
Sam meets Martin during the episode "Totally Mystery Much?". Martin tells Sam that she's like his step-sister, Diana, because of their similar "buzz-kill" personalities. Hinting that the two are close, despite friction at the start.
While Mandy's more of a rival to Clover than she is to Sam, some rivalry has been shown. This rivalry is usually limited to contests, not everyday interactions.
Caitlin is Alex's rival, but Sam has very little interaction with her. The only times she does interact with her is when Mandy is present. The most interaction Sam ever had with Caitlin was in the Season 4 finale, "Totally Busted".
Dominique is Sam's rival, but Sam has very little interaction with her. The only times she does interact with her is when Mandy is present. The most interaction Sam ever had with Dominique was in the Season 4 finale, "Totally Busted".
Whenever she made an appearance in Season 5, she was always with Mandy, and she annoys the spies generally the same way her cousin does, as Mindy's essentially just a blonde clone of Mandy.
It is worth noting that a significant number of Sam's love interests have brown hair, green eyes, and/or rather tan skin. This trend has been shown to continue into Season 6, notably with the episode "Vide-o-no!".
In "The New Jerry" Sam stated several compliments about him calling him cool and smart and saying that he was kind of cute. Her exact words about him were: "Could he be any more money? He's got the brains, he's kind of cute, and his car is the bomb." In the French dub of the same episode she went as far as calling him charming and irresistible, not to mention she admits how she thought of him in a positive manner before finding out he was another "run of the mill terrorist." While generally always being the spy to catch onto things first, she was also last to realize Scam was her enemy.
While her friends were starting to grow suspicious, Sam was the one in denial and who was jumping to Scam's defence and saying nothing was off about him. For example after they were almost shredded to death by the Platinum WOOHP credit card he gave them and Mac seemed unaffected by the news, Alexandra asked him if it doesn't even bother him that they were almost killed. Sam immediately makes up a valid excuse for him by saying quote, "Mac is a seasoned agent; he's probably been in so many dangerous situations stuff like this doesn't even phase him." Sam was also the one who decided, after finding Scam's fingerprints on the dynamite in Mac's car, that Tim Scam was trying to kill Mac Smit instead of making the obvious connection that Mac was Tim and he planted the dynamite in order to eliminate her and her friends which is why he loaned them his car for their ride home. Finally when she "broke up" with him, she did so while looking upset and with the words, "I can't believe I thought you were actually cool. You seemed so smart...but now I see you're just another run of the mill terrorist. We are like SO over!"
Regardless of supposedly being over him she continues to admire his intelligence as shown clearly in some episodes. For example, in "Morphing Is Sooo 1987" upon studying his invention in her school lab she says "wow" in reaction despite Clover and Alex being right there with her. Also in "Mommies Dearest" when Scam is attacked by her and her friends' mothers after his plan goes wrong, while Alex and Clover cringe at the scene, Sam closes her eyes and puts her hands over them as if she is having a very hard time watching him get hurt.
Additionally, Scam seems to be the originator of Sam's trend of (for the majority of her crushes) falling for: blue/green eyed, brown haired, tall, muscular, tan skinned; men as this pattern of hers began right after his first appearance (there was one other man, Ricky Mathis who had these physical characteristics that appeared before Tim Scam but Sam showed no romantic interest in him). This has been taken as a subconscious hint by some fans of the fact that despite claiming to be over Scam, Sam never really, fully got over him.
He seems to be on good terms with Sam, being decent friends. All girls had a mild attraction to him, including Sam. It can be noted Dean looks very similar to a slightly "younger" Tim Scam. Dean seems to work well with Sam and have a mildly similar personality to situations such as his double agent mission. Like Clover and Alex, Samantha still holds romantic interest in Dean even into season five.
Along with Clover, Alex, and Mandy, Samantha too gained a crush on David in Season 2. She spent just as much time trying to win David's attention as the others and David was often the cause of arguments between the girls who were busy trying to prove who was best fit for him. In the episode "I, Dude", after Sam helped him gain equal rights for the lunch lady who was set to be replaced with a robot by going on a hunger strike with him, David told Sam that they were perfect for each other like brother and sister leaving Sam basically sister-zoned.
He romanced Sam so she would steal an invisiblity liquid for him in the episode "Evil boyfriend". Not only that but he lied about the reasons why he wished for said liquid. Stating to Sam that he needed it to "stop his father" from doing evil. His true intentions was to kidnap the president. Thanks to Clover and Alex showing up in time, Sam and the others gave chase and captured him. James commented that Sam was "pathetic". James speaks in a strong English accent that attracted all three of the spies at first glance. It can be noted that like Dean, James too somewhat resembles Tim Scam due to his skin tone and "buff" build albeit Scam is more muscular. His hairstyle also looks like Scam's especially from the back which is most noticable in the scene where he is watching the sunset with Sam on the beach.
Jazz Hands, a mime-based villain, wanted to make Sam into his Mime Queen after falling in love with her alter ego, Miss Spirit Fingers. She rejected him before ultimately defeating him, saying that he can keep dreaming but he will never have her as his queen.
In "The Suavest Spy", Sam develops a crush on Kyle. Even becoming jealous when Clover dances with him. Sam even went so far as to defend why Clover shouldn't be dancing with him, although all of these reasons were true, Sam only used them as an excuse because she wanted to dance with him too. Kyle is one of the few blondes, Sam has crushed on.
In "Evil Bouquets Are Sooo Passe", Sam begins dating Fernando who is Clover's ex. She compliments him many times on how he has travelled, being cultured and smart.
Sam also showed interest in Tad's replacement, a Parisian operative named Vincent. He only showed up in "Totally Spies! The Movie".
Miss Spirit Fingers
Miss Spirit Fingers is Samantha's secret identity as part of "Operation Secret Partnership", a mission involving foiling the latest plan of the villain Jazz Hands. The mission was a secret one given to her by Jerry. Jazz later fell in love with her, and wanted to make her his mime queen. Her appearances were in the Season 5 Jazz Hands Return arc.
- Crimson -- Sam
- Hair color -- Red
- Hair length -- long (Sam) / short (Crimson)
- Color on Edison’s catsuit -- Green
- Crimson -- Sam
- Sam’s grade history.
- Sam's dislike of cheerleading is shown in 3 episodes.
- Sam's favorite foods:
- Appearances of the fathers of the main characters.
- Sam's father is mentioned in "W.O.W." during the mission against the Sisterhood.
- Samantha shares yet another interesting link with Tim Scam with regards to the meanings of their first names. One meaning of the name Samantha when derived from Greek is “flower” but the other meaning for it is "God’s listener" while Timothy means "God’s honour".
- Samantha tends to, for the majority, fall for or be attracted to men that look like Tim Scam (blue/green eyes, brown hair, tan skin, tall, muscular build). This has been taken as a subconscious hint by some fans of the fact that despite claiming to be over Tim, Sam never really, fully got over him after all as this trend of hers began right after Scam's debut and the list includes:
- BOB (“Here Comes the Sun”)
- Brick Wavebreak (“Super Mega Dance Party Yo!”)
- Chad (“Spies in Space”)
- Dash Dawson (“Super Nerd Much?”)
- David (“Here Comes the Sun”, “I, Dude”, “It's How You Play the Game”)
- Dean (“Evil Promotion Much?”, “WOOHP-tastic!”)
- James (“Evil Boyfriend”)
- J.R.L Junior (“Planet of the Hunks”)
- Marco (“Matchmaker”)
- O-Dog ("Boy Bands Will Be Boy Bands")
- Randolph (“Head Shrinker Much?”)
- Seth Nathan (“Vide-o-no!”)
- Wade Richley (“Nature Nightmare”)
- Zack (“Brain Drain”)
- In the episode "The O.P." Clover describes her ideal, perfect man as the following:
- Has bluey-green eyes
- Is strong but gentle
- Artistic, but with an advanced grasp of natural and applied science
- Buff but not bulky
- Likes dogs
- Name starts with a "T"
- Except for liking dogs (which we can not know as that much detail was never given on Scam) everything else seems to describe Tim Scam to every detail. What’s interesting is Sam's reaction to Clover’s list. While Alex says nothing Sam, while initially gushing at the features of Clover’s ideal man, when she reaches the end of the list (name starts with a "T") and thus what appears to be, in every way Tim Scam's full description she pauses, looking annoyed and tells Clover she’s being “picky much” as if to dissuade her from finding such a guy. Then when the Love Computer tells Clover that no such man exists, Sam is shown laughing to herself audibly as if pleased with the computer's failure to find Clover this man whereas Alex just smiles lightly.
- An interesting commonality between Samantha and Tim Scam; both characters end up in groups with similarly embarrassing names. Scam becomes a member of LAMOS (League Aiming to Menace and Overthrow Spies) in Season 4, while in Season 3 Sam becomes a member of DORK (Development for Overly Remedial Kids), a special gym class for “majorly uncoordinated” students after not being able to climb properly in the episode "Power Yoga Much?".
- Sam apparently enjoys Mexican hot cocoa and Veggie Chips while studying revealed in the "Sam's Interview" ending credits of the "Totally Spies" Season 3 on Jetix.
- In "The Suavest Spy" Sam mentions that she has taken tango lessons. In the earlier episode "Head Shrinker Much?", she does not know how to dance the tango.
- In "The Suavest Spy" she wins first prize in the Beverly Hills High Science Fair.
- Tim Scam remains to date the only guy that Sam had a clear romantic interest in that she bought a present for. In “The New Jerry” she buys him a blue, cashmere sweater from the mall in Paris that Scam sends them to while pretending to be their new WOOHP guardian Mac Smit.
- In "Spy Soccer", Sam mentions that she is a part of the Marathon Math Team, an academic club where, for every polynomial equation that a student solves, they "get to" run a mile; the first competitor to run 26 miles wins.
- In the episode "W.O.W.", it's revealed that Sam (and all the women on her mother's side of the family, including her mother) are descendants of the Sisterhood, an ancient guild of warrior women who wanted to be superior to all men and inferior females (women who weren't "chosen ones").
- Sam's great-great-great grandmother was one of the "chosen ones".
- She is shown to be the most skilled at martial arts and is the most flexible out of the group, despite not being as athletic as Clover and especially Alex.
- Sam apparently is terrible at flirting as shown in "The Dusk of Dawn when she flirts with the usher at the theatre in an attempt to get him to ask her out which ends with him just turning around and leaving and Clover facepalming at Sam's bad effort and offering to help her work on her material.
- In "Scam Camp Much?", it is revealed that she plays the accordian and won 6 gold ribbons.
- In "Abductions", it is revealed that Sam's home is located on Marmalade Street.
- In the episodes "Evil Sushi Chef (Jazz Hands Return - Part 1)" through "Mime World (Jazz Hands Return - Part 3)", she was involved in Operation Secret Partnership with Jerry to stop Jazz Hands' evil scheme to turn everyone in the world into mimes by going undercover as Miss Spirit Fingers (Jazz Hands' biggest fan). Clover and Alex found this out in the episode "Miss Spirit Fingers (Jazz Hands Return - Part 2)" with an explanation from Jerry.
- In the episode "Do You Believe in Magic?", Sam introduces herself as "Samantha Simpson" when she enters the Great Kandinsky's castle. However, this was likely an alias.
- In "Totally Busted" she reveals she took a clogging (folk dance) class.
- In "Evil Valentine's Day" and "Evil Shoe Designer", it is shown that Sam does not speak French.
- In the episode "The Granny", it is revealed that Sam's favorite color is purple, despite green being her signature color.
- In "A Spy is Born I", Clover says Sam is a terrible cook.
- As a play on her intelligence Sam is frequently brainwashed by villains as a running gag of the series. However, in later episodes, both Clover and Alex were brainwashed on a few occasions.
- In "Dental? More Like Mental", it is revealed that, at least up to this point, Sam continues to put her initials on her clothing (this is how she was able to identify a sweater that was once her's).
- In "Truth or Scare", it is revealed that Sam's first kiss was in the sixth grade with a boy named Lloyd Bradley, and that she also wore braces in sixth grade.
- She works with Alex and Clover at the Mali-U Cafe at Malibu University.
- In the ending credits of "The Dream Teens", Sam mentions that her favorite show is "Passion Hospital".
- She has a slight resemblance to Jean Grey from the X-Men, whom Jennifer Hale (Sam's voice actor) also voices on Wolverine and the X-Men.
- In "Virtual Stranger", she loans Britney her M.C. Diaper Rash CD.
- In "Morphing Is Sooo 1987", she admits to taking Clover's sweater without permission in the end of the episode interview. It is also revealed Sam is just as messy, possibly more messy than the other girls and seems to have a distaste for chores (being lazy) but strong organization skills.
- She is much like Bloom from "Winx Club" (red hair, leading), but shows more attributes like Tecna (science, gadget friendly, tactics, strategist, planning).